Google Analytic is used by both amateurs and professionals to analyse traffic for their websites. Although setting up Google Analytics can be a little tricky at first, after the initial setup,, users often see results in just a few days. This tool collects important data that helps website owners analyse their websites and understand what improvements or changes have to be made.
Step 1 – Setup your Google analytics account
- When you set up an account, you will be given a unique identifier. This identifier has to be added to your website and through this, only you will be able to check the data for your website. It should be noted that once you setup your account, you will only be able to access information related to your website unless another website owner gives you permission to view data of his website. When you setup your account, you will also be able to give special permission to chosen people to access the data. This is an optional benefit offered by Google Analytics.
- To setup your account, you have to visit the Google Analytics website and then click on sign up now.
- If you are signing up for a new account then the next step is to provide Google with the link of the website which you require to analyse such as www.mydomainname.com.
- Since you will have to give this website an account name, choose an account name that is easy to remember. This is very important if you plan to track more than one website.
- You will then have to select the home country of the website or the country your website wants to target. You will also have to select a time zone and hit continue.
- The next step is to provide your contact information, agree to Google Analytics terms and conditions and create a New Account. Google will provide a block of code that will have to be entered into your website to complete this procedure.
- The code provided by Google has to be inserted into all the pages you would like to track. If you are entering the code yourself then you will need to check the HTML of your webpage. If you are using WordPress then you can do so by going to footer.php to place the provided code.
- To place the code you need to find the </body> tag which will be located at the lower end of the page. The Google Analytics tag has to be posted just above.
Step 3 – Getting data about your website’s performance
- After 24 hours or so, the Java codes entered into your website will be tracking and analyzing your website’s data.
- To check the data, you will have to log in to Google Analytics and click on view reports in the website profile section. This will then bring you to the dashboard which will show you a chart that contains visual representation of your site’s traffic over the last 30 days.You can adjust the span of time the chart displays, compare traffic over two different periods of time, check page views, page visits and much more. The six small charts located beneath the main chart will elaborate on important data such as visits, page views, page visits, bounce rate, average time on website and new visits.The View Report button is located on various parts of the page such as the Visitors Overview Graph section, Map Overlays Section, Traffic Sources Overview section and Content Overview section. This button will give you detailed information on the statistics for each section.
- It should be noted that the data will be available only from the time you insert the tracker into your webpages.
This tool can also be used to check how your website is performing on a day to day basis or hour by hour trends. In addition, you can check where your traffic is coming from such as from search engines or other websites linking to your website.
Since Google Analytics is one of the popular applications from Google, you can expect updates regularly, hence make sure to keep an eye out for important news or updates that can make this application even more useful. Follow us on our social pages and we shall keep you updated with new changes to the system. Also if you are having problems with installing Google Stats, please contact us and we will be able to help you.